Monday – Jam with Lola at Northside Tavern
Monday – Open Jam with Barry Richman at the Dixie Tavern, Marietta
Tuesday – Acoustic Open Mic w/Bones – Nik’s Place, Marietta
Wednesday – Jake Jam at Moonshadow Tavern, Tucker (3rd Wednesday of each month)
Wednesday – (alt. Weds.) Open Mic with Tom Hill Band at Will Henry’s Tavern, Stone Mountain
Thursday – Open Jam w/Nathan Nelson – Nik’s Place, Marietta
This Week with the Rockin Blues Review
The Rockin Blues Review plays High Energy Blues- old school with a little new. The Masters are our inspiration: Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Little Walter and Slim Harpo to name a few. We are passionate at what we do to help keep this wonderful musical Legacy called The Blues- Alive!
Wed, Aug 21, Will Henry's, Stone Mountain, 9pm, Free
Friday, Aug 23, MoonShadow Tavern, 9pm, $5
This Week with the Sweet & Salty Blues Band
Sweet & Salty is a mix of blues, funk, rock and soul that will move your feet and touch your soul!
Fri, Aug 23, Maxwell's Cigar Bar, Woodstock,9pm, Free
Sat, Aug 24, Girl Jam at Sutton's
Sun, Aug 25, Atlanta Blues Challenge, Route 66, Johns Creek, 4pm
This Week with the Juke Joint Dukes
Frontman William "Blues Man" Reed is the real deal on vocals and guitar! Formed in 2015, the Juke Joint Dukes are a tribute to old school Chicago and Delta blues in the style of Muddy Waters, Albert King, Hound Dog Taylor, Magic Slim and BB King. They pride themselves on connecting with the soul of blues instead of playing by the book; they know that blues is all about feeling!
Friday, Aug 23, Fat Matt's, 8pm
Sunday, Aug 25, Sweet Georgia's Juke Joint
This Week with Larry Griffith
Sat, Aug 24, Sharp Mountain Vineyards,Jasper, 2-5pm
Sat, Aug 24, Barbacoa, 10pm
Sun, Aug 25, Duo at Bub-Ba-Q,Jasper, 12-3pm
Sun Aug 25, Uncle Sugar, Northside Tavern, 9pm
This Week with Frankie's Blues Mission
As the name implies, these gentlemen are on a mission: Their purpose is to present the blues, jazz, R&B and zydeco in the best of the African-American tradition with all the energy they can muster.
Weds, Aug 21, Fat Matts, 8pm, Free
Sat, Aug 24, The Alamo, Newnan, 8pm
Sunday, August 25, 1-9pm, $10 Members, $15 Non-Members:
2019 Atlanta Blues Challenge at Route 66 Restaurant & Music Venue – The Atlanta Blues Challenge is the Atlanta Blues Society’s competition to select our representatives for the International Blues Challenge in Memphis, TN. This year we have a new venue for our event, Route 66 Restaurant & Music Venue in Johns Creek (Duluth) Georgia. Route 66 is also the signature song of one of Atlanta’s blues legend who we recently lost, Eddie Tigner. and as such, this year’s Challenge will be in honor of Mr. Tigner. https://www.facebook.com/events/2143142375807676/
Sunday, August 25, 6-9pm:
Touring Musician Alert! Dirty Dozen Brass Band at City Winery – Celebrating over 40 years since their founding in 1977, New Orleans-based Dirty Dozen Brass Band has taken the traditional foundation of brass band music and incorporated it into a blend of genres including Bebop Jazz, Funk and R&B/Soul. This unique sound, described by the band as a ‘musical gumbo,’ has allowed the Dirty Dozen to tour across 5 continents and more than 30 countries, record 12 studio albums and collaborate with a range of artists from Modest Mouse to Widespread Panic to Norah Jones. Forty-plus years later, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band is a world famous music machine whose name is synonymous with genre-bending romps and high-octane performances.
Sunday, August 25, 7pm, Free:
Jetback at Fat Matt's – A powerful trio, playing with passion. Jetback is a trio of seasoned musicians that bring the best mix of Blues, Funk, Rock, and Soul to their audiences. Combining covers and originals, they keep everybody engaged and participating in the shows. Real music drives this band and that will keep you asking for more.
Sunday, August 25, 6:30-10:30pm, Open Jam, Free:
Tom Hill Band at Will Henry's Tavern, Sugarloaf – The Tom Hill Band is a blues based rock and soul band that specializes in having some of the best jams in Atlanta. Hailing from the Tucker area and led by singer/songwriter Tom Hill, the band plays all around Atlanta. They invite all music lovers to come hear them and musicians are always invited to come and play!
Coming Up Soon...
At 10:00 PM on August 30th 2019, MadLife will host Shaw Davis & The Black Ties for an awesome night of contemporary blues-rock! Shaw Davis & the Black Ties - Formed in 2016 in Pompano Beach, FL, Shaw Davis leads while backed by drummer Bobby Van Stone, and bassist Patrick Stevenson. The band puts their own spin on Psychedelic Blues and Roots Rock. Their loyal following has been built as a result of the band touring nationally, playing over 300 shows, headlining festivals, opening tours, and more! They are influenced by the sounds of vintage, heavy blues-rock, leading them to open for musicians such as; Samantha Fish, Chris Duarte, Mike Zito, Albert Castiglia, and Popa Chubby.
Our headliner is Alligator Records recording artist, Selwyn Birchwood. #WRFG is proud to dedicate our 34th annual Blues Barbecue to one of the best known trombonists in the blues, Lil Joe Burton, who’s bringing the Atlanta Horns with him. During his 55-year career, Lil Joe has toured with many of the greats including B.B. King, Junior Wells, and Atlanta’s own Mudcat. You'll also hear gifted guitarist and drummer Larry Griffith, prolific singer/songwriter Bill Sheffield, along with drummer Sandra Senn, and Eddie 9V, led by 22 year old Brooks Mason. The Park Tavern in Piedmont Park is at the corner of 10th Street and Monroe Drive in midtown. Doors open at noon and the music will play from 1:00 to 8:00 PM. Tickets are $18.00 in advance via WRFG.ORG, or $25.00 at the door. Kids under 12 get in free. All proceeds benefit Atlanta's WRFG 89.3 FM, your community radio station for progressive and handpicked quality music. Click here to watch the Promo Video.
Sautee Productions presents the Sautee-NaHoochee-Coochee 2019 Blues Fest on September 14. Some of Atlanta’s favorite blues bands will be holding forth at this stunning location in the hills of north Georgia. Tickets can be purchased online at Eventbrite for $30. They will be $35 on the day of show. KIds 12 and under are free! https://www.facebook.com/SauteeBluesFest/
At 10:00 PM on September 14th 2019, MadLife will host the return of Thomas Fountain for a special CD release of his new EP. This Canton, GA native has had 5 previous sellout shows at MadLife, and we can’t wait to celebrate the much anticipated release of his sophomore album. In 2014, Thomas was voted Georgia Country Male Artist of the Year and Georgia Overall Artist of the Year. In November 2016, Thomas released his recent single, “Sometimes God Whispers”, landing him the number one voted upcoming local artist on station - 94.9 The Bull Backyard Country series. After recently co-hosting the show on Kicks 101.5 in Atlanta, fans are raving over the anticipation of his sophomore EP set to release this summer.
At 6:00 PM on September 21st, 2019, MadLife will host the 8th Annual Alzheimer’s Music Fest for a powerful and moving night of performances. The evening will culminate with a headline concert by The Reverend Horton Heat. A talented roster of contributing bands will open the evening, and numerous musicians will be performing for the festival on MadLife’s patio stage throughout the day. Details of all performers may be found here: https://madlifestageandstudios.ticketfly.com/event/1847521-alzheimers-music-fest-woodstock/
Get on out and listen to some live blues!
• Mandi Strachota – Smokin’ Cues, Stockbridge
• Dani Mac (acoustic) – Tailgaters Sports Bar & Grill, McDonough
Saturday, August 24
• Frankie’s Blues Mission – The Alamo, Newnan
• Larry Griffith Band - Barbacoa
• Danny Vinson’s 4th Annual Guitararama – Blind Willie’s –
___Featuring Jonn Del Toro Richardson, Skyler Saufley, Jim Ransone, Tony Agosta
• Harvey Brindell & the Tablerockers – Buffington’s, Milledgeville
• EG Kight – Crimson Moon, Dahlonega
• The Garret Collins Project – Cue, Peachtree Corners
• Way Back Band – Doc’s, Smyrna
• Blue Roads – Fat Matt’s Rib Shack
• The Fabulous Spankedelics – Full Throttle Roadhouse, Mableton
• Swami Gone Bananas – Gypsy Rose Music, Roswell
• Brian Moote, Comedian with Heather Tolley-Bauer – Madlife, Woodstock
• Mike Watson Band – Maxwell’s Cigar Bar, Woodstock
• Ol’ Matt Donald – Moonshadow Tavern, Tucker
• MOMs 8th Anniversary w/ the Donna Hopkins Band – Music on Main, Lilburn
• Bill Sheffield, 6-9 pm, followed by Ike Stubblefield – Northside Tavern
• Chi-Town Transit Authority, Chicago Tribute – Route 66, Johns Creek
• Larry Griffith Duo, 2-5 pm – Sharp Mountain Vineyards, Jasper
• Sweet and Salty Blues Band at Girl Jam – Sutton’s, Carrollton
• Kitty Rose & the Rattlers, 2 pm – Wings & Whitewalls, Marietta
Sunday, August 25
• The Atlanta Blues Challenge – Route 66, Johns Creek –
___Solo/duo: Sam Chung, Mandi Strachota, Sawgrass Blues Band
___Bands: Let It Rip Band, Sweet & Salty Blues Band, Red Sugar Blues, Trouble Tones,
___Johnny Scales Band, The Garrett Collins Project, Kitty Rose & the Rattlers, Eddie 9V
• Skyler Saufley, 6:30 pm – Blind Willie’s
• Larry Griffith Duo, noon-3 pm – Bub-Ba-Q, Jasper
• Dirty Dozen Brass Band – City Winery
• Hannah Aldridge – Crimson Moon Café, Dahlonega
• Jetback – Fat Matt’s Rib Shack
• DuoRide, JB Walker & Rob Gater, 3-7 pm – Full Throttle Roadhouse, Mableton
• BluesandOldSchoolRadio.com presents Sunday Soul Blues – Magnolia Lounge, Forest Park
• Featuring Music Man Mr. CLJ, DJ Mr. Melvin, Jarvis Greene
• Swami and Dave, 6-8:30 pm, followed by Uncle Sugar – Northside Tavern
• Juke Joint Dukes – Sweet Georgia’s Juke Joint
• Open Jam with the Tom Hill Band – Will Henry’s Sugarloaf, Lawrenceville
Saturday, August 31
• Hot Tuna – Variety Playhouse
Sunday, September 8
• Shemekia Copeland – Chattahoochee Nature Center, Roswell
Wednesday, September 11
• Buddy Guy – Atlanta Symphony Hall
Saturday, September 14
• Sautee-NaHoocheeCoochee Blues Fest 2019 - Sautee Nacoochee Center, Sautee Nacoochee
• Featuring Seed and Feed Marching Abominables, Royal Johnson, Kerry Hill Band, The
___ Squirrelheads, Markey Blue, Delta Moon
• GABBAfest 2019 – Grand Opera House, Macon